Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Creeps Never Stay Under Their Rocks*

As the title says, the creeps never stay under their rocks.

You might recall that I had a site on the savemesites.com page. This website is for needy people who want to ask for help from the cyberpublic. My page asked for help for my bills, but all I got was a bunch of e-mails from con artists, so I had the webmaster take my page down. Then I got the news about Foxy and I had an idea. I decided to put another page on the site, this one asking for donations for the $3000 hip replacement surgery Foxy needs but my sister can't afford. To be on the safe side, I put a disclaimer on this page telling scammers not to reply. Even though I put the disclaimer up, I really didn't think people would try to take advantage of someone with a sick dog. Silly me!

No sooner was the page up, I got three--count 'em three!--e-mails from creeps trying to take my money! One e-mail was from a "representative" of a Chinese company that wanted me to become a rep for them in their supposed American market. Did the person behind this crap really think I'd fall for something as poorly spelled as that e-mail was? How insulting!

Then there was the second attemped rip-off. This one was from some guy named Johnson Karllson, or something Scandanavian-looking like that. He tried the I'm-your-friend angle, introducing himself with a nice "Hi!", asking how I was, and bringing up God. Mr. Karllson was so eager to help me, but, you see, he'd had trouble trying to give through Paypal in the past, so would I be so kind as to open up a Bank of America account, give him my account number, then he'd happily wire me $2000. How sweet! Can you believe this guy? Jerk!

The third con man was a jerk, too. But to be honest, I really don't remember much about the scam except that the man's name was something like Pierre K. Yu. He also wanted me to get a Bank of America account. Must be something wrong at B. of A., some loop hole in their security practices, for two scammers to want accounts from there. All you B. of A. customers take notice!

Anyway, I just thought it was sad, and, in a strange way, amusing, that the sharks came swarmming as soon as they smelled new blood in the water. But they won't get a drop of my blood. I dare them to keep trying!

P.S.
In case you're wondering, the asterisk next to the title means that the post is just about my personal issues; titles with no asterisk are social/political commentary.

No comments: