Dr. David Scheiner, Barack Obama's former personal physician, was on Mike Huckabee's show Saturday and he said something that really pissed me off.
While discussing Obamacare--he's against it, he supports a single payer plan--Scheiner advocated covering illegal aliens because they "do our work for us". Did you get that? Illegals do our work. When I heard that my first thought was, oh no he didn't say that! My second thought was how someone who has to be smart--Schneiner's a doctor after all--would peddle such bona fide nonsense.
Speaking as someone who busts my ass 40-60 hours a week, I'm SICK TO DEATH of this noxious notion that illegal aliens are the only people in America who work. No, they AREN'T. Illegals make up approximately 5% of the US workforce. That means the other 95% of the US workforce is composed of AMERICANS! Like me. We are the ones who "do our work". We are not some sort of parasitic leisure class living off the backs of the poor illegals. We are the producers. It is our labor that produces the wealth that creates the jobs that employ the illegals. If we stopped working the illegals would have nothing. We don't owe our way of life to them; they owe their lives to us.
If Dr. Scheiner or anyone else believes that illegal aliens should be covered by universal health care, fine. Let them defend their view with rationally stated arguments. But Scheiner and all who think like him should understand that they lose credibility when they use the patently false assertion that illegals "do our work" and therefore should reap all the benefits of citizenship. They don't and they shouldn't.
I am an American worker. I am only one of millions. I and my fellow workers, along with small businessmen, are the backbone of the US economy. If our country ends up with socialized medicine--and I pray she doesn't--it should go first of all to us. No foreigner who broke into this country like a thief in the night deserves health care at the taxpayer's expense. If they want free health care let them get it in their own country. As for America, let universal health care go to those who really "do our work". You and me.