Saturday, December 17, 2005

Where Have I Been?*

Hello people! It's been almost a week since my last post. Sorry! Money is really tight right now, even with my new job, and my dsl connection is down at home. I'm posting this from my second home, the public library. I'm going to make a payment on my dsl when I leave here. I hope it'll be enough to get the connection back up. I do have a bit of good news: today I found $20!!!! I noticed it when I was pulling into the parking lot at Albertson's. I stopped at the first parking space I came to and got out of the car to get the bill. I thought it was only a dollar, and even that would've been great, but when I picked it up it was a twenty!!!! I feel bad for the person who lost it but for me, it was an answer to prayer. Also, my new boss threw a killer Christmas party at her house last night. There was great food, great music, lots of laughs, and an auction for different gift baskets. I got the gift basket with a kiddie 35mm camera, a Disney hot chocolate set, a Mancala game, and some bath fizzies(not really sure what they are). We used angel bucks, not real money, to bid on the baskets. I think it was really sweet of my boss to buy the baskets so we, the employees, could "buy" them without real money. That was some Christmas spirit! Well, gotta go now. You only get an hour on the 'net at the library. Hopefully my next post will be from my own computer. Merry Christmas everyone!

PoorGrrl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am in the 3rd ID based at FT Stewart, GA. Additionally, I am a translator for the army (you guessed it, I am an Arabic translator). I am currently under stop loss and serving in Tikrit, Iraq.

I am writing this to share something with you... It is something so horrible that I still have nightmares from it. It was during a raid near Abu Ghraib. I was to help interrogate the detainees, and a soldier had opened fire on a truck. There were no weapons in the truck and it wasn't even driving toward us.

That is when I saw that a little boy (about 3 years old) had been shot in the head and had to interpret for his uncle who was holding him with pieces of skull and brain on his immaculate white shirt splattered with surreal bright red) it actually gets easier to bear... It will never go away (or I have been told) but I can go on with my life now. For about 8 months it was always in the forefront of my mind (constant daydreams about the incident).

It makes me sick still to really think about it, but it is like a memory that I always go back to and wonder around in... You know how you might have something you remember and as time goes by it gets fuzzy? Not this, it stays crystal (I mean fuc**ng crystal) clear the way the corn field next to the truck was, how the shirt looked, the boy's head, the drink of water I took after....etc... I wish that I never had to see that but even more I wish that the family who's son had been killed by U.S. soldiers was still alive.

What is worse is that things like that still happen and the media doesn't even care enough to report it... just collateral damage. The army mental health clinic has told me that to help deal with this memory I should buy some stress tapes and also count to 10 when the memory hits...

Thanks for letting me share that. Feel free to put it on your website if you wish. I am glad that you have spoken out for those of us who have no voice, for I have seen that if we (soldiers) speak out against the atrocities that have been committed, we are silenced by our commanders and leaders.

Merry Chrismas