Monday, September 11, 2006

A Sorry Tribute

Today is the 5th anniversary of 9/11. I was going to write a nice nonpolitical post just remembering the victims of that horrible attack, then I saw Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes and I got mad as hell. No nonpolitical post today; nope, I'm going to say exactly how I feel about the domestic enemies that are tearing America down.

What got me so riled up? Andy Rooney blamed America for the attacks of five years ago. I'm not lying. At the end of his little commentary he always gives at the end of the show, he said that it might be alright to actually fight those who want to kill us but that it would be better to not behave in ways that make us hated. There you have it. Mr. Rooney might as well have spit on the grave of every victim of 9/11. According to him they, and all Americans, brought the catastrophe on ourselves by acting in ways that displeased the Islamic world.

We are in World War III. Our very survival is at stake. Islamic radicals want nothing less than the end of our civilization and all Andy Rooney and other liberals can do is blame America. That's what they are, the Blame America First cabal. They think that way because they're cowards and because they don't believe America is worth defending. Blaming America for 9/11 absolves these liberals of having to confront the actual killers and protects their pc view of the world, a view in which nonWhite, nonWestern, nonChristian people can't be proactively evil. If they're evil at all it's only to the degree that they've been provoked by us.

Liberals embrace this view because they think it makes them anti-racist, which is far more important to them than patriotism. And frighteningly, they're managing to convert many other Americans to their view. Just a few weeks ago it was revealed that over 30% of Americans now believe that the government either carried out 9/11 or refused to stop it. I was sickened when I heard that. We are in a war for our lives and over a third of the country thinks their own government is the real enemy. That makes me more terrified than I ever was on Sept. 11, 2001.

In the famous poem "In Flanders Fields", the poet urges the reader not to "break faith with us who die". The way to honor the dead, according to the poem, is to continue the fight against the foe. Only then will the dead not have died in vain. Andy Rooney and all his ilk need to read that poignant ode to the fallen of WW I. It tells us exactly what we need to do to honor the fallen of WW III. Sadly, I don't think Mr. Rooney and his Blame America First friends are open to the message of "In Flanders Fields". That's why I fear we may have lost the war already. Some tribute to the dead of 9/11.

No comments: